By June Scharff
In doing the Roll Down/Up, the roll up can be a little challenging. Here are some of tips to keep in mind:
- You can use a Thera-band around your feet; hold the arms to the sides with some tension to help engage the Latissimus dorsi.
- Before you start, remember to tilt the pelvis slightly imprinting the low back into the mat, close the front of the ribcage, and imprint the ribcage down into the mat. On this step you are recreating the C curve you had on the way down, but a flattened out C curve
- As you start, inhale and fold the chin; start the exhale as you are folding at the “T” point (right below the chest).
- Keep in mind, while rolling “UP” you do not want to think “UP”, you want to feel like you are folding over. Maybe it should be called the Roll Down/ Folding Over! As you are folding over, keep pressing the abdominals to the spine as you do on any C curve, and let your back peel off the mat one vertebra at a time.
- As you are folded, be aware of incorporating the upper back to help with the forward motion.
For a while, your feet may pop up off the floor; that’s okay…. before you know it the feet will stay put and you will fold right over!